What is the Farm System Reform Act (S. 271/H.R. 797)?
The Farm System Reform Act was introduced by Senator Cory Booker in the Senate and Representative Ro Khanna in the House of Representatives.
If passed, this bill will:
- Place a moratorium on large, concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs)–or factory farms– that keep thousands of cows and hundreds of thousands of chickens in confined spaces, in order to phase them out fully by January 1, 2041.
- Help CAFO owners transition to other practices and/or crop production.
- Update country of origin labeling for beef and pork products.
- Require country of origin labeling for dairy products.
- Strengthen the Packers and Stockyards Act of 1921 to protect independent farmers and agriculture works from monopolies and unfair practices.